More Rollins action

After I got finished reading Rollins' latest book, "Broken Summers," I wanted more.

So, I picked up "Rise Above: 24 Black Flag Songs to Benefit the West Memphis Three."

The 2002 release features the Rollins Band mowing through 24 killer Black Flag tunes with surprising precision and plenty of velocity.

Henry sings on quite a few tracks, but the real attractions are the guest singers who Rollins lined up for this benefit CD.

Here are some of my favorites:

MP3: Keith Morris - "Nervous Breakdown" - The former Black Flag singer and Circle Jerks lead man has one of the most recognizable voices in punk rock. He's one of my fave singers of all time. As Rollins repeatedly points out in "Broken Summers," Keith Morris still has it. (Note: Click through link)

MP3: Ice T - "Police Story" - I really loved Ice T's collaboration with Slayer on the song "Disorder," and his take on this killer Flag song is almost as good. Don't know anything about his rap records, but he's got some venom in his voice on this track. (Note: Click through link)

MP3: Hank III - "No Values" - Another musician that I'm ashamed to say that I know little about other than Duane Dennison played with Hank III for a while. He rips it up on this early Black Flag fave. (Note: Click through link)

When you buy this CD you will be supporting funding for DNA testing for the West Memphis 3 and their cause.

Link: West Memphis 3 official site

0 comments: