McG's jazz vinyl finds

It's been a good season for hunting for and finding jazz LPs. I'm slowly rebuilding portions of the collection I had to sell for cash several years back.

Anyway, last weekend I scored a crapload of great albums including several Blue Note and Impulse titles. Some were reissues (OK by me) and some were original pressings. Finds included:

Gene Ammons - "Up Tight!"
Thelonious Monk - "Monk's Blues"
Ahmad Jamal - "The Awakening"
Charlie Mingus - "Blues & Roots"
Hank Mobley - "Workout"
Grachan Moncur III - "Evolution"
Nina Simone - "Silk & Soul"
Miles Davis - "Kind of Blue"
Miles Davis - "Blue Haze"
Miles Davis - "In a Silent Way"
Miles Davis - "Porgy and Bess"
Sonny Rollins - "On Impulse!"
John Coltrane Quartet - "Ballads"
The Charles Lloyd Quartet - "Dream Weaver"
The Modern Jazz Quartet - "Odds Against Tomorrow (sdtrk)"

... and several more!

I have plans to hang out with my friend Dean this Sunday; we're gonna listen to some of these LPs as well as some Bud Powell LPs I picked up for a him - he's a huge Powell fan.

Tonight I showed him this video of Bud Powell playing "Get Happy" and he totally dug it.

I showed it to him on my iPod and he asked, "Where did you get this thing?" as he marveled what is a truly cool gadget.

I'm gonna show him this amazing video of Clifford Brown playing two songs with a brief interview on The Soupy Sales Show.

He's not even going to believe such a video exists!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, it really works... There's no way I can watch/listen to that and not get happy! And thanks, I've been so busy catching up on all the great hardcore footage on YouTube I haven't even thought to look for this stuff. Just watched a bunch of Lee Morgan and Art Blakey this morning. Can't say I know much about jazz, but that 50s/60s hard bop stuff flat out rips!