Skate Jam, Sunday June 21 in Wilmington, DE

The Wilmington Skate Project is hosting a skate jam on Sunday June 21st in Wilmington, Delaware, between Market and Shipley on 10th street (map).

Skaters will be lining up to do tricks and show off their skills 12:00 Noon to 5:00 p.m.

I've been to one of these events before. It's pretty inspiring to see kids of all age getting out there and tearing things up.

The Wilmington Skate Project has raised nearly half of the necessary funds ($800,000) to build an honest to goodness free skateboarding facility in the city.

The group points out that "quality skateparks have many benefits for cities and communities including, increased tourism and detering crime."

Yeah, it gives kids something to do. Makes sense to me.

While I was an amateur skateboarder in college, it's rare that I'll dust off the deck these days.

Call it a lack of coordination or an unwillingness to risk a trip to the E.R. because I was the adult who tried to skate and ended up breaking his wrist.

Anyway, I just used a skateboard to get from point A to point B.

Unlike me, skaters who show up on Sunday to the Skate Jam are the real deal.

0 comments: