A friend of mine, a hip-hop fan who prefers to remain anonymous, e-mailed me about some recent releases worth checking out. Here's what he suggests:

Murs "Murs 3:16 - The 9th Edition" (Def Jux) - collaboration between LA rapper Murs and North Carolina's incredible 9th Wonder (of Little Brother fame). Heartfelt and personal lyrics with a sense of humility not often voiced by rappers. He gives probably the best reason why whitey shouldn't front I've ever heard. Probably the best rap album I've heard in a long while.

Jaylib - "Champion Sound" Instrumental LP (Stones Throw)- Madlib is one of my favorite DJs. He teams up with Detroit's Jay Dilla for a great piece of instrumental ear candy. Wasn't thrilled with the vocal version of this album - lots of bitch slappin' gansta crap. As a Christian (and a person who just generally has SOME morals) I often find it difficult to get through a vocal rap album. So, I normally buy the instrumental stuff.

Also got some 12" singles that are cool: Pete Rock and Grap Luva (one of the few rappers I always support) and Sound Providers with Little Brother (my favorite rap group - period, from North Carolina). Sound Providers show promise. Pete Rock always pulls of some very nice stuff.

Also picked up a Jurassic 5 instrumental album. Very nice, one of the better rap "groups" out there. Also got Madvillain, a collaboration between Madlib and MF Doom (great New York rapper with a unique style).

0 comments: