V2 Records, psychic conduct seance seeking advice on marketing dead artist's music

Label asks dead singer how to get his band's single played on radio and requests he continue press interviews, even though dead.

From an e-mail circulated on the Internet:

From: bob.rubenstein@v2music.com
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:44:21 -0400
To: Bob.Rubenstein@v2music.com
Subject: Good Riddance

Dear everyone,

I just wanted to drop you a line to let you know that today is my last day at V2. I was let go this morning.

All I can say is this is messed up-I was brought into V2 to specifically work on the Pre Thing record a few months ago. Everything was setting up nicely on the record, radio was reacting, the single "Faded Love" was kicking in at Active Rock, we created this super cool video game that was going to be on the commercial cd, etc.

Then, out of the blue, the main guy from Pre) Thing, Rust Epique dies of a massive heart attack and everything goes haywire. Radio started to back off the single and the CD came out 2 weeks ago and got virtually no press. So, today, they let me go! How messed up is that? Wait, before you think this is nuts, let me leave you with this.

So, before i got let go, we had our weekly marketing meeting yesterday. They brought in a psychic person and everyone joined hands and did a seance to talk to Rust! I'm not kidding, even if I wasn't fired I wanted to quit on the spot. They were like "how do we get radio to continue to play this song?" and "Rust please talk to press and tell them to write about your record." I mean come on, that's just rock bottom!

Whatever! Good riddance to the label and the industry. I'm done with all of this.

Bob Rubenstein

0 comments: