McG's Tuesday playlist

Everyone at the post office knows I'm a music writer so they often chat me up about new music. Today somebody asked me if I was into the Allman Brothers!

If I see that "Whipping Post" video on VH1 one more time, I'm gonna hurt someone.

Then the conversation turned to country and rockabilly, and then to the Eagles training camp. Totally weird, as I just wanted to pick up my mail and not have to think about sports (which I have to deal with at work), because I really hate them!

Anyway, I'm sitting in front of the computer today and writing record reviews and listening to music. Here's the playlist for today.

The Knockout Pills - "1 + 1 = Ate" - The 2nd album by this Tuscon, AZ quartet. A really killer LP in the vein of recent rippers by Clorox Girls and The Marked Men. Not out until Sept. 14, but Estrus has graciously posted 2 MP3s to rev up your appetite.
MP3: The Knockout Pills - "Target H"
MP3: The Knockout Pills - "Do the Skin Crawl"

Mastodon - "Leviathan" - I heard John Peel play these guys a month ago and was instantly hooked. Insane metal with great melodies. Imagine Slayer crossed with King Crimson. There's also a prog rock feel a la Don Caballero. Is it punk? Is it metal? It doesn't really matter, it kicks ass. Out August 31.
Check Relapse Records for MP3s

The Undertones - "Listening In: The BBC Sessions" - Not the best sounding radio sessions I've ever heard. The performances aren't as tight and punchy as the studio recordings. I recommend the band's first album, "The Undertones" highly.

Here's an MP3 from from that album, which you can get on vinyl from No Ambition Records.
MP3: The Undertones - "I Gotta Getta"

Henry Fiat's Open Sore - "The Parallel Universe of" - Just listening for the first time. Kind of reminds me of the Dwarves and the Hives' first record. The band members are wearing suits and masks on the cover. I think this will be good driving music as I commute into work at 4:00 a.m.

Here's an MP3 from the band's 2001 7", "Makes Your Cock Big."
MP3:Henry Fiat's Open Sore - "Hey Ju"

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave likes 'metal'? How ironic.