Making sense of drunk driving tragedy

I have little, if any, tolerance for the actions of drunk drivers. I personally have been involved in two close calls involving drunk drivers.

In one instance, I was able to react and get out of the way of a drunk driver who weaved uncontrollably in traffic, striking a car, then fleeing the scene.

In another case, I merged onto a four-lane highway from I-95 and encountered a drunk driver directly in my path as they drove down the wrong side of the road.

Once again, I was able to get out of the driver's path and avoid injury.

Then there's my sister, who was sitting at a traffic light during evening rush hour. As she waited to make a turn, she was hit from behind by a drunk driver, who fled the scene. While she wasn't seriously injured, she experienced mild recurring injuries that required therapy.

And then there are the cases where people involved in drunk driving collisions aren't as lucky.

I felt sadness when I learned earlier this week that Phil Healy, an acquaintance who I met through the music scene in Delaware, was killed in a car crash. As a fellow musician for over 15 years in the local music scene, I felt an unspoken kinship with Healy and other musicians in the scene like him. It seemed as if "one of us" had been taken away.

Then I learned more about the accident.

I found out that Healy, who had a previous drunk driving conviction, had been drinking before the accident, that he had a minor accident and fled the scene. I winced as I read news reports of how he drove on the wrong side of the road at a high speed, coming to rest only after colliding head-on with a clearly marked State Trooper's vehicle driven by Officer Christopher Shea. The crash killed both Shea and Healy.

My sadness was still there, but as I try to come to terms with what's happened, I've felt angry, frustrated and irritated over Phil's actions and the impact they have had on so many people's lives.

How could someone do something so stupid?

When someone is seemingly together and bright, like Phil was, it's hard to understand how they could make bad choices and how they weren't able to receive the type of help, counseling and treatment needed to overcome their problems and make wiser choices.

The whole situation is inexplicable.

Phil was an intelligent guy. He was well-spoken, a gifted musician and in my experience, an amicable person. I always liked Phil, but right now I'm totally pissed off over what he did.

Christopher Shea's family and friends are crushed. Shea's wife now has to deal with many different kinds of devastation. There's the obvious emotional impact that will be painfully present for weeks, months and years to come.

But there's also the financial devastation, insurance matters and potential litigation that are bound to drag on for months, and possibly years, as Shea's widow tries putting her life back together. Shea's two children, a three-year-old and eleven-month-old have been robbed of experiencing a life with their father.

Everyone can agree that the whole situation is awful.

But it raises the question, how do we cope with this?

What is the appropriate response when a loved one like Phil Healy, who everyone agrees was a good person, does something really bad?

Phil was a friend to many, a teacher who did his part in educating children and a musician who entertained many people. Now his family and friends are experiencing devastation and feelings of losing a beloved friend and family member. And there is probably guilt, anger and confusion as well.

And those left to deal with the aftermath of Healy's actions? What are they experiencing? Rage. Anger. Mourning. The desire for revenge. These things all come up as they process the loss of their beloved friend, co-worker, public servant, husband, father, etc.

As I sit here and reflect on all of this, I can't figure out an appropriate way to conclude these thoughts.

It reminds me of a time I was at the movies when the film unexpectedly stopped during the plot's climax.

As I sat there in darkness I thought to myself, this can't be.

As I waited, nothing happened. The film never came back on.

Then somone came in telling the audience that the projector light had burned out and no replacement was available.

I sat there in disbelief as the house lights came up.

I waited for sometime, hoping that somehow the film would miraculously come back on, which it didn't.

I never did find out how that film ended.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's awful and I'm sorry to hear it.
enjoyed reading this though.
meri

Anonymous said...

I was disheartened by your article--I understand the confusing emotions that come with the death of someone you care about, especially a death that came about by the conscious, but extremely poor and selfish, decision making involved here. However, the emotions that family members of Phil Healy are experiencing as they deal with his death do not justify in any way his behavior. I was particularly struck by your comment that Healy wasn't able to receive the help he needed to prevent this type of incident. Don't you think that a person needs to decide to benefit from help? This was Healy's 3rd time where he was caught driving under the influence of alcohol. That to me says selfishness--not simply someone who didn't receive the counseling he needs. Plus, he had two previous opportunities to benefit from Delaware's first offender program for drunk drivers--and he chose to go through the motions without benefitting from the help that was offered and without seeking out further assistance. Our society is riddled with programs to "help" people blame their behaviors on other people. Take responsibility for yourselves! Drink all you want, just stay home or call a cab. Instead we have here two senseless and unnecessary deaths--one in which a totally innocent non-participant was taken from his family, his friend, and his community. And the state of Delaware is all the worse off because of it...

Unknown said...

It was tough writing about this. I wanted to get across that Phil Healy was nothing but cordial and nice to me and that when I'd see him, we'd have interesting chats about music, culture and what was going on.

That said, I wasn't particularly tight with Healy. But when someone is in the music scene, you feel a little some affinity with them.

I guess the point I was trying to make was Healy was a seemingly good guy who did something really terrible. He killed someone. And it's hard to come to terms with that, but it's the truth.

As for the drunk driving issue. I agree with you. It's nothing but bad news.

In our society, this should be a major taboo. It's just an American way of life, which is sad, because so many people die because of it. And repeat offenders are part of this problem for sure.

When I say that Healy wasn't able to receive the treatment needed to prevent this type of incident, I'm talking about first offender programs and counseling as well as family and friends.

I think Healy failed himself, and treatments failed and his peers failed as well in recognizing a serious problem and being able to cause some positive change.

At some point you would think a close friend or SOMEONE who pulled Healy aside and said, "dude, you are f'ing up."

If it sounds like I went soft on Healy and his actions, it's because this is such a delicate issue.

But believe me, I do not condone drunk driving and repeat offenders whatsoever and frankly the whole thing made me pissed off and really irritated at Healy and his actions. It's downright sinful.

And when I saw news coverage of 2,000 people at Christopher Shea's funeral, it made me sad and angry that Healy did something that affected so many people in a negative way.

Finally, I read several articles praising Healy as a person and musician. And I agree with them, Healy had a lot to offer.

But these articles omitted the fact that Healy killed someone. And that is awful just to say out loud and is even harder to forgive when you think about it.

I dunno ... the whole thing sucks ... and it affected a lot more people than we could ever know.