The day after

Spent most of yesterday listening to Radio One and their tributes to John Peel.

It's hard for most to understand how important a part of many people's life John Peel and his radio show were.

John Peel was to new and adventurous music, what Howard Stern is to schock radio, what Kurt Cobain was to generations of punkers.

In other words, the guy was huge.

Over the past year, I relied heavily on radio shows to get me through early hours and crazy weekend shifts when no one in their right mind would be awake.

DJs such as Peel, WFMU's Mike Lupica and Terre T and all their other DJs, are just some of the people who played music that really kept me going.

Probably the most poignant post on the BBC bulletin boards said, "John Peel is dead, now what do we do?"

***

So, I have today off. Pretty nice. Walked up to the post office and watched the first episode of Taken, which seems to be equal parts traditional epic mini-series, X-Files and romantic love story all wrapped up into one.

I have some episodes of season two of Dead Like Me to get through. This is one of my new fave shows. Just really good writing, concept and characters cloaked in sublime and occasionally biting darkness.

Also on my list of things to view is The Power of Nightmares, which explores the culture of fear generated by the war on terror.

Haven't watched any episodes of Arrested Development lately, but will do so soon. I picked up the 1st episode of Greg the Bunny, but haven't watched yet. Both of these shows came out on DVD recently.

I finally got my copy of On the Road with the Ramones by Monte Mellnick. I've only read a few pages, but it looks like it will be a great read.

0 comments: